Mackerel Banh Mi
- 2 Vietnamese baguettes, or 1 French baguette, cut in two
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise, or to taste
- 2 cans (115g each) Gold Seal Mackerel ( Mediterranean ), drained
- 1/4 English cucumber, sliced lengthwise into spears or sliced
- 1/2 cup pickled carrots
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 handful fresh micro greens, optional
- fresh mint, optional
- jalapeño slices, optional
Make the pickled carrots:
- Place the carrots in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Massage the salt into the vegetables and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Rinse, drain, then squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Place in a small bowl and cover with water. Mix in the sugar and white vinegar. Drain well before using.
Assemble the Mackerel Banh Mi:
- Slice the baguettes open lengthwise, but do not split. Toast lightly.
- Spread on mayonnaise to taste, then top with mackerel, cucumber spears, pickles, and cilantro.
- Add micro greens, mint, and jalapeños, if using. Enjoy immediately.