Mediterranean Mackerel Sweet Potato Cakes
- 1 can (115g) Gold Seal Mediterranean Mackerel, drained
- 1 medium sweet potato (½ pound), cut into quarters
- 1 small shallot, diced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup dill, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- 2 eggs, whites only
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add sweet potatoes to boiling salted water and cook until tender, 10 minutes. Strain, add to a mixing bowl and mash.
- Add mackerel, shallot, lemon juice, panko, dill and capers to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Whip your egg whites with a hand mixer or whisk until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold whipped egg whites into mackerel mixture. Don’t overmix or the cakes will be dense. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use a ¼ cup scoop to form individual patties.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite aioli or yogurt sauce.