Fulfill those cannelloni cravings, but without the guilt! This Salmon Cannelloni recipe is proof that comfort food CAN be healthy! Packed with protein, and tastes unapologetically delicious!
- 2 medium purple eggplants
- 2 cans (120g) Gold Seal Wild Pink Salmon (Skinless/Boneless), drained
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion
- 3 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 can (28oz) of tomatoes (or substitute 1 jar Authentica Siciliana Tomato Sauce)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup blanched spinach- chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Parmesan, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the stem off the eggplant and cut slices lengthwise, about ½ inch thick.
- Lay the eggplant on a baking sheet and season with salt. Let rest for 20-30 minutes to draw out any excess moisture. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over med-high heat and fry the eggplant slices until golden brown on each side.
- Remove from pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Make the sauce:
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over med-low heat. Sauté onion until translucent. Add garlic and chili flakes and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and break up with a spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- OR Save time by substituting this sauce with 1 jar of Authentica Siciliana Tomato Sauce.
- While sauce is simmering, in a large mixing bowl combine salmon, ricotta, spinach, basil and lemon juice, mix well.
- Place 2-3 Tbsp of cheese filling on eggplant slice and roll over the cheese filling.
- Place in a greased baking pan with the seam side down.
- Add tomato sauce to the baking dish and place rolled eggplant cannelloni in the dish.
- Bake in 350°F oven covered for 40 minutes.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.