Mackerel And Refried Butter Beans Tartines
Mackerel And Refried Butter Beans Tartines are so easy to prepare and super yummy! This nutritious recipe was created by our Ocean Brands partner, @saltnpepperhere
For the Refried Butter Beans:
- 1 x 14-oz can of butter beans (or other canned white bean), rinsed and drained well
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 3⁄4 cup broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt, more or less to taste
- Oil for sautéing
For the Parsley Salad:
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6-7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
For Assembly + garnish:
- 2 x 115g cans of Gold Seal Mediterranean Style Mackerel
- 6 slices of sourdough bread, toasted and brushed with some extra virgin olive oil while still hot
- Sprinkle of Maldon salt (or other flakey salt)
Make the parsley salad: Mix all ingredients together and set aside at room temperature while you prepare the refried beans.
Make the refried beans:
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
- Drizzle some oil, add the chopped onions along with 1⁄4 tsp kosher salt and sauté a couple of minutes or until softened.
- Add minced garlic, dried oregano and fresh dill. Sauté a minute more.
- Add well-drained beans and mix well.
- Pour in the broth and while it comes to a simmer, mash with a fork to get to desired texture – I like it mashed with some texture still.
- Cook about 2 minutes or when the liquid is noticeable reduced. Take off heat.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. If it is too thick, mix in some hot water to thin to desired consistency.
Assemble: Spread refried beans on toasted bread slices. Add fillets of Mackerel, including olives from the can. Top with parsley salad and a sprinkle of flakey salt.