Mackerel and Salmon Chowder
This mild, creamy, and oceanic tasting soup is just what the doctor ordered on a cold, rainy day. Made using an Insta Pot, it’s so easy to prepare and relies on many common pantry ingredients. You can use whatever produce you have on hand to whip up this cure for the blues.
- 1 can (213g) Gold Seal Wild Pink Salmon, drained
- 1 can (115g) Gold Seal Wild Mackerel Lemon and Peppercorn, drained
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 8 baby potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp capers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dill, to garnish
- Melt butter in a medium pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, turmeric powder and thyme and cook until fragrant, 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, fennel and corn.
- Add the clam juice and broth and bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Add the cream, capers, Salmon and Mackerel and bring to a simmer.
- Serve with fresh dill and cracked black pepper and enjoy!