The full-flavoured goodness of this mackerel curry is what your rice and naan have been missing! Made with immune boosting ingredients like ginger and turmeric, it’s good for you and great for weeknight dinners.
- 2 cans (115g) Gold Seal Mackerel in Olive Oil, drained
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 4 baby bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ cup cilantro stems, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 cups butternut squash, large dice
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 10 mussels, scrubbed of any grit (discard any mussels that have opened) (optional)
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rice, for serving
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Melt the butter or ghee in a medium pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger
and baby peppers and sauté for 3 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add the cumin seeds, turmeric, cilantro stems and curry paste and cook for 3 minutes or until
- Add the butternut squash and tomatoes and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or
until the squash is fork-tender.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add the mackerel, mussels (optional), spinach and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over rice with fresh cilantro and enjoy!