Sardine and Ricotta Tart
It’s hard to choose the best part of this Thanksgiving appetizer…is it the sweetness of caramelized onions? Or the crunchiness of the pastry? Or maybe the saltiness of sardines? We can’t wait for you to try this super flavourful Sardine and Ricotta Tart recipe!
- 200g puff pastry, defrosted
- Flour, for dusting
- ½ clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup ricotta
- ½ lemon, juice and zest
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- 1 small shallot, very thinly sliced
- 1 can (125g) Gold Seal Sardines (Spring Water), each sliced in half lengthwise
- ½ tbsp capers
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll out puff pastry, lightly dust both sides with flour, prick holes throughout with a fork, and put in the fridge on a floured baking sheet to cool for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together the garlic, ricotta, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- To fry the shallot, put shallot and avocado oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Shallot should be submerged in oil. Frequently stir with a fork to ensure even cooking. Cook for 15 minutes until brown and crispy but not too dark. Drain through a sieve (save oil for other use) and transfer shallot to a paper towel. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Remove pastry from the fridge. Place on a floured baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and spread with ricotta mixture. Then top with Gold Seal Sardines and capers and bake again for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with lemon zest and crispy shallot.