Sardine, Caramelized Onion and Romaine Salad
A unique mixture of sardines, sweet caramelized onions with romaine make this a light first course, or a great lunch option.
2 cans (125g each) Gold Seal Sardines ( Soya Oil ) drained
1 tbsp canola oil
1 large sweet onion sliced
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
0.25 tsp black pepper freshly ground
2 Hearts romaine halved lengthwise and cored
1 cup grape or cherry Tomatoes halved
salt and pepper to taste
- Place oil and onions in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and starting to brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low if they are browning too fast.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and simmer, uncovered, until the vinegar is reduced to a glaze, about 1 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk sour cream, mayonnaise, white-wine vinegar, pepper and season with salt in a small bowl.
- Divide romaine halves among 4 dinner plates or place on a large platter.
- Spoon the dressing over the salads. Break sardines into two or three pieces each and divide among the romaine halves.
- Top with the caramelized onions and tomatoes.