Creamy Salmon Orzo
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- ¼ cup capers
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups orzo
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup half and half cream (10%)
- 1 can (170g) Gold Seal Pink Salmon Traditional
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated
- ½ cup basil, to garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until translucent. Add carrot, celery, garlic, chili flakes, capers and sundried tomatoes and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes. Remove all vegetables from skillet.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in the same skillet. Add the orzo and cook until golden brown stirring frequently, 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to a simmer and frequently stir. Cook for 10 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and orzo is al dente.
- Stir in cream and lemon juice. Continue stirring for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in sauteed vegetables, half of the cheese and salmon. Garnish with lemon zest, remaining cheese, black pepper and basil.